Northern Harmony, a collaboration of thirteen brilliant singers presenting harmony singing from across the world, presents its June concert!
Led by Larry Gordon, Northern Harmony is the highest level performing group under the umbrella of the world music organization Village Harmony, which sponsors singing camps and workshops in New England and many parts of the world. (see www.villageharmony.org ) Touring Europe regularly since 1995, the group has won wide acclaim for their unique repertoire and sure command of widely diverse traditional singing styles. Most of the veteran singers in the present ensemble have studied traditional singing styles first hand with native teachers in South Africa, Corsica and Caucasus Georgia, and some are leaders of their own ensembles.
The concert program presents a thrilling mix of world harmony traditions including
- Haunting 16th century Italian laudae
- Premieres of new pieces by group members Megan Henderson and Lexi Ugelow
- Dramatic shape-note songs by Megan, Toby Tenenbaum, and Neely Bruce
- French baroque Nisi Dominus by M.A. Charpentier
- Traditional songs from Georgia and Bulgaria
- Stunning men's trio vocal-instrumental rendition of The Blackest Crow
- Macedonian songs with fabulous band
- South African songs and dances