Village Harmony, Inc. is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in central Vermont with activities around the world welcoming singers of all colors, creeds, ethnicities, nationalities, gender orientations & socio-economic backgrounds. Our focus is on deep exploration of harmony singing styles from traditional cultures throughout the world. We view this as an important aspect of building bridges between different cultures and communities.
Village Harmony acts as an umbrella organization for a range of activities:
- a traveling choral summer camp program for teenagers and adults;
- the semi-professional touring ensemble Northern Harmony;
- music workshops and presentations, including performances and residencies by foreign teachers and touring groups;
- online virtual choirs and shorter workshops;
- hosting a very extensive library of online world music teaching materials
Village Harmony was founded by Larry Gordon in 1989. It began as a small ensemble of high school singers drawn from several central Vermont schools, rehearsing extra-curricularly and preparing a concert program for a ten day spring tour. In 1990 the first Village Harmony summer camp was held, establishing a pattern which has continued since: a week-long residential rehearsal week followed by a performing tour with home stays hosted by community sponsors. The organization and its programs have grown steadily and organically.
Learn more on our website.